How to Measure a Rubber Band
Rubber bands have three core measurements that communicate their dimensions: band thickness, width, and flat length.
- Thickness: The band’s thickness helps determine how much stretching and wear it can handle. Thin rubber bands can stretch more but snap more easily, while thicker bands are generally less stretchy but more robust and durable.
- Width: This is how wide the cut width of the rubber band strip is, not the length of the rubber band.
- Flat length: This is how long the rubber band is when it’s lying flat and straight (not stretched). This measurement is taken by pressing the ends flat and measuring from one end to the other. Flat length is usually about half the total circumference of the rubber band in a relaxed position.
The different sizes of rubber bands convey important details about the circumference of the band, its structural durability, and potential applications. Other factors, such as rubber content, also influence the capabilities of each band and its fitness for certain applications.
Rubber Band Size Chart
This chart describes the approximate number of rubber bands per pound, as well as the attributes of different rubber band types.
|Approx. Rubber Band Count Per Pound|
|Size||Length”||Width”||Pale Crepe Gold®||Sterling®||Advantage®||Pale Crepe Gold
The rubber band with the softest stretch to help prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and resulting costly insurance claims. It has the highest percentage of rubber content and the greatest number of pieces per pound. Pale Crepe Gold is highly recommended for repeated application.
Want to learn more?
In addition to the length and width measurements, there are other factors to consider when choosing a rubber band.
- Approx. Count Per Pound: The approximate number of natural crepe color bands per pound.
- Ultimate Elongation: Elongation at point of failure.
- Permanent Set: After a rubber band has been stretched, it will typically come to rest at a longer length than before it was stretched. This is expressed as a percent of the original length of the band.
- Specific Gravity: The ratio of the density (weight) of a substance to the density of water.
- Durometer: Measure of the hardness of nonmetallic materials or “resistance to indentation”
Types of Rubber Bands
At Alliance Rubber, we offer the following three main types of rubber bands.
Pale Crepe Gold®
This is the softest, most pliable band. It’s lightweight and contains the highest amount of rubber compared to the other two bands. Pale Crepe Gold® rubber bands are a popular option for repeated use cases because they are softer and less likely to cause repetitive stress injuries compared to harder rubber bands.
Sterling® rubber bands offer excellent value: they have a high rubber content and a low cost per pound. They’re easier to work with for quick applications and repeated use.
Advantage® rubber bands are slightly harder, stiffer bands with a lower rubber content. Because of their sturdiness, Advantage® rubber bands can be used for industrial and commercial applications that demand stronger, more resilient fasteners.
Learn More With The Rubber Band University
At Rubber Band University you will learn everything there is to know about our favorite invention – the glorious Rubber Band. The Rubber Band University is a collection of resources we’ve gathered to answer your most frequently asked questions regarding rubber and rubber bands. And don’t forget about our fun facts section. Explore The Rubber Band University today.
Download The Rubber Band Playbook
We’re excited to now offer the new and improved Rubber Band Playbook – a wonderful tool for anyone desiring to learn more about the endless uses and versatile applications of Alliance Rubber Bands. Inside the Rubber Band Playbook, you will find several chapters such as Rubber Band Basics, Advanced Sales Techniques, and much more! Within each chapter you’ll also find direct hyperlinks to informational brochures and helpful videos, making it your one-stop resource for many years to come. Complete this form to receive an instant download!
Contact Alliance Rubber for High-Quality Rubber Bands
At Alliance Rubber, we pride ourselves on creating quality products fit for office, consumer, commercial, and industrial applications. As an ISO 9001:2015 certified company, we’ve specialized in rubber products for nearly 100 years. Our team can produce rubber band sizes that meet your custom requirements regarding thickness, width, formulation, and length. In addition to rubber band production, we offer the following services:
- Custom rubber compounding
- Private labeling
- Warehousing and distribution
- Automation solutions
- Specialty imprinting
Contact us today to learn more about our in-house rubber solutions.